Beltsville Vicinity Shoppers, Vent Your Spleens!
(About Customer Service in Hyattsville, College Park, Greenbelt, Laurel, etc.)
Real Local. Free. Real Empowering. Tell somebody!
Be sure to subscribe below, right, to receive automatic updates.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Customers—and Atmosphere—More Gracious at "Glory Land" Barbershop


Business: Glory Land Barbershop
Location: 4937 Harford Ave., right off Rte. 1/Baltimore Ave, Beltsville, MD
Date of incident: 7/21/06, ~6:45 P.M.

UPDATE: Glory Land Barbers encountered some hard times at the location above and therefore has moved. Unfortunately, we cannot in good conscience recommend their new location.


Quick Hit
A customer at the barbershop I frequent made our night and strengthened our faith in mankind through one generous, self-deprecating act.


The Run-up
Sometimes people moving
through a place can take on the characteristics of that place, at least during their transition through that space. Somebody said, When in Rome, do as the Romans. So, tell the truth: When you visit New York City don’t you steel yourself to be treated rudely and to defend yourself in kind up there? And if you visit the south for more than a couple of days don’t you catch yourself adopting a bit of the local drawl...y'all?

Well, as evidenced by the incident that took place at Glory Land Barbershop in Beltsville, MD, yesterday, a calm, personable, friendly place of business can even foster benevolent gestures amongst its patrons.

Glory Land is a great, albeit still new-ish, little barber shop for black hair (a distinction worth noting simply because of the natural segregation of the races/hair types that normally characterizes barber shops). It’s owned by Fred. That’s all I know him by, his first name. Fred is a very bright guy from Africa. I think he even has an MBA or something. I've even overheard him explaining the concept of diminishing return and the foibles of the Bush administration with regard to developing countries, to some patrons. He’s extremely soft-spoken and gentle in manner, and very accommodating, as well. On at least two occasions I’ve shown up at the shop as he was turning out the lights (because I could not recall what closing time was on those particular nights, not because I’m inconsiderate that way), and he has seen me coming and told me to come on in and that he’d get me done. Like I said, a really good guy.

Fred’s largess is evidently infectious, too. On my way home from work yesterday, Friday, I called Glory Land at about 6:30 to ask Fred how crowded it was over there. I wanted to take my son, mainly, and squeeze myself in, too, if time permitted. Fred said that it was rather quiet and that he was working on one head but had an appointment coming in at 7. I asked if I could reserve a 7:30 slot for me and little man. He said no problem.

When I walked into the house five minutes later, my son had already eaten dinner and was just chilling. The thought crossed my mind that if we shot to the shop real fast that maybe Fred could fit one of us in prior to the arrival of his 7PM appointment. So I rousted my boy and we bolted. When we arrived at the shop at about 6:45 Fred was just finishing up with a customer and no one else was waiting. I looked at him and he said he could possibly fit one of us in. I get my head pretty much shaved, no shaping necessary, so he took me first. While I was in the chair Fred phoned his 7 o’clock to ask him if he could push back his arrival time to around 7:30. I protested that we should not bump this customer from his time. My son and I were perfectly willing to wait. So Fred told him “never mind” and that he’d see him in a few.

The Meat
So between the time I sat in the chair and was done, approximately three customers walked in, greeted Fred and everybody else in the shop warmly, and took seats in the waiting area. Fred was the only barber working at the time, of three who ply their trade at Glory Land. I did not know whether one of the gentlemen who walked in was Fred’s appointment, but when he was done with me, around 7:05, I headed for the seat next to my son. But Fred proceeded to beckon him, my son, to the chair. I turned and said, “Oh, your appointment’s not here yet?” Fred nodded towards a well-dressed young gentleman who had sat closest to his chair and said, “Yes, that’s him right there.” But the gentleman chimed in and said, “No, he [your son] can go ahead.” I insisted that it was not our intention to bump him from his time slot and that my son would wait his turn. But this gentleman insisted, retorting, “Naw, let him go so that you two can roll out.” I thanked him, told him that was very kind of him, and sent my son to the chair (so to speak). When Fred had cut my son’s hair—exquisitely, as usual—we thanked the altruistic gentleman once more, paid and tipped Fred, and arrived back at home ½ hour earlier than we anticipated.

Epilogue

This blog endorses Glory Land Barbershop wholeheartedly, not only for the comfortable atmosphere, but for their skill with the clippers, as well. I’ve never been dissatisfied with a cut, and don’t ever recall seeing another disgruntled customer over there. And the way many shops are run nowadays, with loud rap music shaking the mirrors on the walls, or risqué videos part of the décor, obnoxiously loud talk amongst patrons and barbers (often profane in nature), Glory Land Barbershop is a welcome refuge. It's a little difficult to find, even though it's only a stone's throw off busy Rte. 1 (seriously, I could stand in the doorway of GL and chuck an aerodynamically sound rock right into the turning lane), sharing a strip-mall address with Hogs on the Hill and a popular nail salon, but it's worth the extra effort to find.

And here’s to the kind gentleman who did me and my kid a big solid yesterday evening. I hope to see you there again in the future so I can return the favor.


2 Comments:

  • I'm impressed and will be visiting this shop. We're in the market for a new barber shop (tired to driving twenty five minutes to our old one) since we moved. Thanks for sharing. It's always wonderful to get a personal recommendation when it comes to businesses that offer personal services.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 19, 2007 12:39 PM  

  • Anonymous, thanks for stopping by the blog and commenting, but by way of an update, Gloryland fell on some hard times and had to relocate. Unfortunately, as much as I dig Fred Friday I can't in good conscience recommend the new location.

    By Blogger Vent, at July 19, 2007 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home